|Photo by the Atlas of Florida Plants Database|
|Division:||Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants|
|Class:||Magnoliopsida - Dicots|
| Castanea pumila|
|Natural range of Castanea pumila from USDA NRCS Plants Database.|
Synonyms: Castanea pumila var. pumila, Castanea pumila var. ashei Sudworth; Castanea alnifolia Nuttall var. alnifolia; Castanea alnifolia var. floridana Sargent; Castanea ashei (Sudworth) Sudworth; Castanea floridana (Sargent) W.W. Ashe; Castanea alnifolia
Varieties: Castanea sativa P. Miller
C. pumila is a perennial shrub/tree of the Fagaceae family native to North America. 
C. pumila can be found along the southeastern coast of the United States, from Texas to Massachusetts. 
C. pumila has been observed to flower between March and June. 
Use by animals
C. pumila is highly palatable to browsing animals and is edible by humans, but is not very palatable to grazing animals. 
Diseases and parasites
C. pumila is relatively resistant to chestnut blight. 
Conservation and Management
Cultivation and restoration
References and notes
- USDA Plant Database https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=CAPU9
- Weakley, A. S. (2015). Flora of the Southern and Mid-Atlantic States. Chapel Hill, NC, University of North Carolina Herbarium.
- Johnson, A. S. and J. L. Landers (1978). "Fruit production in slash pine plantations in Georgia." The Journal of Wildlife Management 42(3): 606-613.
- URL: http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu. Last accessed: June 2018. Collectors: Loran C. Anderson, Robert K. Godfrey, Wayne R. Faircloth, A. F. Clewell, C. Jackson, H. Kurz, W. D. Reese, Wilson Baker, R. Kral, Robert W Simons, Richard S. Mitchell, Erdman West, Angus Gholson, George P. Johnson, Lucy B. Abbe, Ernst C. Abbe, Robert F. Martin, R. F. Thorne, R. A. Davidson, D.B. Ward, R.B. Smith, John K. Small, Ed Keppner, Lisa Keppner, Rodie White, R. Komarek, Andre F. Clewell, D. Demaree, Kathleen Craddock Burks, Travis MacClendon. States and counties: Leon County Florida, Calhoun County Florida, Santa Rosa County Florida, Wakulla County Florida, Suwannee County Florida, Hamilton County Florida, Walton County Florida, Okaloosa County Florida, Columbia County Florida, Jackson County Florida, Alachua County Florida, Duval County Florida, Escambia County Florida, Madison County Florida, Gilchrist County Florida, Bay County Florida, Liberty County Florida, Washington County Florida, Gadsden County Florida, Grady County Georgia, Thomas County Georgia, Decatur County Georgia, Carroll County Arkansas, Franklin County Florida, Autauga County Alabama.
- Nelson, G. PanFlora: Plant data for the eastern United States with emphasis on the Southeastern Coastal Plains, Florida, and the Florida Panhandle. www.gilnelson.com/PanFlora/ Accessed: 18 MAY 2018