|Photo taken by Gil Nelson|
|Division:||Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants|
|Class:||Magnoliopsida – Dicotyledons|
|Family:||Asteraceae ⁄ Compositae|
(Elliott) A. Heller
|Natural range of Verbesina aristata from USDA NRCS Plants Database.|
Common name: Coastal Plain crownbeard
Synonym: Pterophyton aristatum (Elliott) Alexander.
A description of Verbesina aristata is provided in The Flora of North America.
In the Coastal Plain in Florida and Georgia, V. aristata can be found in open pine-hardwoods, longleaf pine-scrub oaks, pine flatwoods, annually burned pine woodlands, pine-hardwood second growth, pine-scrub oak sandhills, and longleaf pine forests. Additionally, a study exploring longleaf pine patch dynamics found V. aristata to be most strongly represented within longleaf pine gaps and under patches of longleaf that are up to 180 years of age. This species can also be found between railroads and highways in disturbed scrubs. Soil types include loamy sand, red sandy-clay, and sandy loam.
This species is thought to be dispersed by wind.
Conservation, cultivation, and restoration
References and notes
- Weakley, A.S. 2015. Flora of the southern and mid-atlantic states. Working Draf of 21 May 2015. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Florida State University Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium database. URL: http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu. Last accessed: July 2015. Collectors: Loran C. Anderson, Robert K. Godfrey, Richard D. Houk, R. Kral, Douglas Gage, R. A. Norris, Andre F. Clewell, R. Komarek. States and Counties: Florida: Columbia, Hamilton, Holmes, Jefferson, Leon, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Walton. Georgia: Baker, Coffee, Grady, Thomas. Compiled by Tall Timbers Research Station and Land Conservancy.
- Mugnani et al. (2019). “Longleaf Pine Patch Dynamics Influence Ground-Layer Vegetation in Old-Growth Pine Savanna”.
- Nelson, G. PanFlora: Plant data for the eastern United States with emphasis on the Southeastern Coastal Plains, Florida, and the Florida Panhandle. www.gilnelson.com/PanFlora/ Accessed: 19 MAY 2021
- Kirkman, L. Katherine. Unpublished database of seed dispersal mode of plants found in Coastal Plain longleaf pine-grasslands of the Jones Ecological Research Center, Georgia.
- Robertson, K.M. Unpublished data collected from Pebble Hill Fire Plots, Pebble Hill Plantation, Thomasville, Georgia.
- Platt, W.J., R. Carter, G. Nelson, W. Baker, S. Hermann, J. Kane, L. Anderson, M. Smith, K. Robertson. 2021. Unpublished species list of Wade Tract old-growth longleaf pine savanna, Thomasville, Georgia.