|Photo by John Hilty hosted at IllinoisWildflowers.info|
|Division:||Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants|
|Class:||Magnoliopsida - Dicots|
(Lindl.) G.L. Nesom
|Natural range of Symphyotrichum urophyllum from USDA NRCS Plants Database.|
Synonym(s): Aster sagittifolius Wedemeyer ex Willendow; A. urophyllus Lindley ex A.P. de Candolle.
This species can be found from Maine, south to Florida, westward to Mississippi, and inland to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota and the remaining eastern portion of the United States. It is also found in the Ontario province of Canada.
S. urophyllum occurs in woodlands, savannahs, forest edges, prairies, meadows, oak woods, river banks, and fields. It is also found in disturbed areas including upland hardwood forest remnants, boat ramp areas, clay roadsides, and field tracks.
Associated species: Juniperus, Aster oolentangiensis, Schizachyrium scoparium, Quercus velutina, Quercus alba, Agrostis perennans, Prenanthes altissima , Silene stellata, Polygonum virginianum, Solidago ulmifolia, and Andropogon.
Flowering occurs in late August through October.
Populations of Symphyotrichum urophyllum have been known to persist through repeated annual burning.
This species is known to attract a variety of butterflies and native bees.
Herbivory and toxicology
Conservation, cultivation, and restoration
References and notes
- Weakley AS (2015) Flora of the Southern and Mid-Atlantic States. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Herbarium.
- USDA NRCS (2016) The PLANTS Database (http://plants.usda.gov, 12 January 2018). National Plant Data Team, Greensboro, NC 27401-4901 USA.
- Weakley, A.S. 2015. Flora of the southern and mid-atlantic states. Working Draf of 21 May 2015. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Plant database: Symphyotrichum urophyllum. (12 January 2018) Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. URL: https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=SYUR
- Florida State University Herbarium Database. URL: http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu. Last accessed: June 2021. Collectors: Loran C. Anderson, Kathleen Craddock Burks, R.K. Godfrey, and Richard S. Mitchell. States and counties: Florida: Jackson and Jefferson.
- Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University accessed using Southeastern Regional Network of Expertise and Collections (SERNEC) data portal. URL: http://sernecportal.org/portal/collections/index.php Last accessed: June 2021. Collectors: Ann Newbold. States and Counties: Pennsylvania: Montgomery.
- Calvin College accessed using Southeastern Regional Network of Expertise and Collections (SERNEC) data portal. URL: http://sernecportal.org/portal/collections/index.php Last accessed: June 2021. Collectors: David Warners. States and Counties: Michigan: Missaukee.
- Illinois Natural History Survey accessed using Southeastern Regional Network of Expertise and Collections (SERNEC) data portal. URL: http://sernecportal.org/portal/collections/index.php Last accessed: June 2021. Collectors: F.M. Harty, Shannon L. Horn, and Loy R. Phillippe. States and Counties: Illinois: Kankakee.
- Platt, W.J., R. Carter, G. Nelson, W. Baker, S. Hermann, J. Kane, L. Anderson, M. Smith, K. Robertson. 2021. Unpublished species list of Wade Tract old-growth longleaf pine savanna, Thomasville, Georgia.