|Photo taken by Kevin Robertson|
|Division:||Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants|
|Class:||Liliopsida – Monocotyledons|
|Natural range of Rhynchospora harveyi from USDA NRCS Plants Database.|
Common name: Harvey's beaksedge
A description of Rhynchospora harveyi is provided in The Flora of North America.
In the Coastal Plain in Florida and Georgia, R. harveyi can be found in longleaf pine forests, drying sandy loam of open pine-oak woodlands, and on dry wiregrass/longleaf pine sandhills. It can also occur in cutover pinewoods with Fimbristylis and Cyperus, sandy loam on pond margins, roadsides, and partially cutover upland longleaf pine savannas.
R. harveyi became absent in response to soil disturbance by agriculture in southwest Georgia savannas. It has shown resistance to regrowth in reestablished savanna habitat that was disturbed by agricultural practices.
Associated species include Pinus palustris, Aristida stricta, Quercus, and Fimbristylis, Cyperus.
This species is thought to be dispersed by gravity.
Conservation, cultivation, and restoration
R. harveyi should avoid soil disturbance by agriculture to conserve its presence in pine communities.
References and notes
- Florida State University Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium database. URL: http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu. Last accessed: July 2015. Collectors: Loran C. Anderson, Gary R. Knight, C. Jackson, D. E. Powell, R. A. Norris, Robert K. Godfrey, Andre F. Clewell, Steve L. Orzell. States and Counties: Florida: Franklin, Gadsden, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Wakulla. Georgia: Thomas. Compiled by Tall Timbers Research Station and Land Conservancy.
- Kirkman, L.K., K.L. Coffey, R.J. Mitchell, and E.B. Moser. Ground Cover Recovery Patterns and Life-History Traits: Implications for Restoration Obstacles and Opportunities in a Species-Rich Savanna. (2004). Journal of Ecology 92(3):409-421.
- Nelson, G. PanFlora: Plant data for the eastern United States with emphasis on the Southeastern Coastal Plains, Florida, and the Florida Panhandle. www.gilnelson.com/PanFlora/ Accessed: 19 MAY 2021
- Kirkman, L. Katherine. Unpublished database of seed dispersal mode of plants found in Coastal Plain longleaf pine-grasslands of the Jones Ecological Research Center, Georgia.
- Robertson, K.M. Unpublished data collected from Pebble Hill Fire Plots, Pebble Hill Plantation, Thomasville, Georgia.
- Platt, W.J., R. Carter, G. Nelson, W. Baker, S. Hermann, J. Kane, L. Anderson, M. Smith, K. Robertson. 2021. Unpublished species list of Wade Tract old-growth longleaf pine savanna, Thomasville, Georgia.