|Photo by John R. Gwaltney, Southeastern Flora.com|
|Division:||Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants|
|Class:||Liliopsida – Monocotyledons|
| Carex verrucosa|
|Natural range of Carex verrucosa from USDA NRCS Plants Database.|
Common name: Warty sedge
Synonym: Carex glaucescens Elliott var. androgyna M.A. Curtis
A description of Carex verrucosa is provided in The Flora of North America.
Distributed from southeast North Carolina south to Florida and west to Louisiana.
Carex verrucosa are sedges that are almost restricted to wet savanna communities. Thrives in wetland depressions in the southeastern coastal plain. This species is found in sphagnum bogs in pine woods depressions, cypress ponds, and sweetbay-titi swamps. It is tolerant a range of light levels, from shady to sunny. It grows in sandy loam and peaty soils that are wet to saturated. Also found in roadside ditches.
Associated species includes Carex walteriana, Ilex myrtifolia, Lyonia, Panicum hemitomon, Polygala cymosa, Pontederia, Rhynchospora corniculata, Taxodium distichum, and others.
The inflorescence is arranged in a spike. It has superior ovaries. C. verrucosa has been observed flowering from February to July, and also in October and November with peak inflorescence in April and May. The fruit is a nutlet.
Conservation and management
Cultivation and restoration
References and notes
- []NatureServe. Accessed: april 12, 2016
- Walker, J. and R. K. Peet (1983). "Composition and species diversity of pine-wiregrass savannas of the Green Swamp, North Carolina." Vegetatio 55: 163-179.
- Edwards, A. L. and A. S. Weakley (2001). "Population biology and management of rare plants in depression wetlands of the southeastern coastal plain, USA." Natural Areas Journal 21: 12-35.
- Florida State University Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium database. URL: http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu. Last accessed: June 2014. Collectors: L. C. Anderson, J. R. Burkhalter, K. C. Burks, G. R. Cooley, S. Cooper, R. J. Eaton, A. Gholson, R. K. Godfrey, D. W. Hall, E. Keppner, L. Keppner, G. R. Knight, R. Kral, S. W. Leonard, D. L. Martin, S. McDaniel, R. A. Norris, A. Schmidt, G. Schultz, C. R. Slaughter, L. B. Trott, and C. E. Wood Jr. States and Counties: Florida: Bay, Calhoun, Clay, Columbia, Duval, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Hamilton, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Marion, Polk, Suwannee, Taylor, Wakulla, Walton, and Washington. Georgia: Thomas.
- Nelson, G. PanFlora: Plant data for the eastern United States with emphasis on the Southeastern Coastal Plains, Florida, and the Florida Panhandle. www.gilnelson.com/PanFlora/ Accessed: 7 DEC 2016